Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Review: Buffy The Vampire Slayer Season 8 Volume 1

From the Publisher: Since the destruction of the Hellmouth, the Slayers-newly legion-have gotten organized and are kicking some serious undead butt. But not everything's fun and firearms, as an old enemy reappears and Dawn experiences some serious growing pains. Meanwhile, one of the "Buffy" decoy slayers is going through major pain of her own. 
The Long Way Home (Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Season 8, Vol. 1) 

Grade A-:
The comic picks up right where the TV series stops - Season 7 ends, Season 8 is seamlessly picked up in comic book format.Since I missed some episodes in season 7, a quick wikipedia refresher helped me remember some of the newer plot twists (Recommended). It is written by Josh Whedon, the creator of Buffy, who has plenty of street cred.
Plus: While the narrative is different, stylistically it is true to the fast-paced, dramatic visual format of the TV series. GREAT GREAT cover art - almost photographic in detail, beautifully drawn. In each section of the comic (Part 1, Part 2 and so on) there is a mini-cover art page, which is stellar work. You can look to the right for a sample.
Witty one-liners that punch through into the heart of Buffy-ness? Action scenes that used Buffy's Scythe? All here and more.

Minus: Felt more like a TV-type pace, than a comic book. There were some cuts in scenes which felt too contrived, had to flip back and forth to get a grip on what was happening. Luckily, being a comic book, this is easy to do! 
Really, almost a positive here, is that you can go back and forth, set the pace at which you read and re-read this story.
My one gripe is that I felt Buffy didn't look too Buffy-like in the comic, I certainly couldn't see Sarah Michelle Gellar there. Covers excepted, of course.

Finally, at 139 pages, this is good value for money.
I'd recommend this to: People who grew up with Buffy on TV, and would like more! 
Thanks to NetGalley for the opportunity to read this. I've already requested for the 2nd of 8 Volumes that make up Buffy Season 8.
Pin It!

9 comments:

  1. Nice review - if you continue with the series, I'll be curious to see what you think of the overall season arc. I thought it started strong, and had some definite highlights, but the last few issues so totally disappointed me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, the only reason I haven't read this yet is that I wasn't sure if I'd like a comic!! But your review just showed me what I'm missing, thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sally - will do! Im a little bit of the way into the second book now...must say I'm amazed by Faith's face and her expressions..
    Story already is a little wonky now :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never watched any of the Buffy series. thanks for the review.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ann - whoa, how did you miss them? They seemed to be on a lot when i was in high school :)

    Along with 90210 (which I wasn't really allowed to watch even at age 15)

    ReplyDelete
  6. YES! I love these graphic installments of the Buffy!verse. I definitely agree that Buffy doesn't look much like SMG from the show, but I'm okay with that as the character herself is quite different than how she was in the last few seasons (more mature in the comics, IMHO). And I absolutely love Xander looking like Nick Fury (and his "interactions" with Dracula, of course)!


    Smiles!
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lore - - Great points there, I liked Xander too! It took me aback at first, but as I turned the pages, he was even better :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just read this for the third time off of net galley myself. I love the story even though it doesn't go as I would hope...but that is good story telling.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am a HUGE Buffy fan and I've seen this comic but I didn't realize it was actually written by Josh Whedon. I haven't been interested in reading any of the knock offs. I will have to check this out though - thanks for sharing this!

    Shelleyrae @ Book'd Out

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for the comment! I will always reply to each comment, and if you leave a link, comment on your site as well.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Popular Posts